Can I Condition My Hair Every Day?
The answer Yes, you should condition hair every day depends on the type of your hair. So, if you want to nail the conditioning step of your hair care routine, the primary step involves knowing your actual hair type.
For example, if you have an oily hair type, you surely would not want to make your hair look greasier than it already is, right? In that case, go for clarifying shampoos and avoid using conditioner regularly. On the contrary, if your hair type is dry, then you should focus on locking the moisture up in your hair. As a result, try using conditioner on a regular basis.
What Do Conditioners Actually Do For Your Hair?
Constituted of cationic surfactants, a conditioner basically acts as a moisturiser for your hair. It helps nourish your hair with the appropriate ingredients that would ultimately result in smoothed, shiny and frizz-free hair. Following are the functions of a conditioner:
- Helps in locking the moisture in that the shampooing takes away
- Protects the hair from chemical and mechanical trauma and prevents hair breakage
- Adds shine and smoothness to your hair and reduces split ends
There are basically three types of conditioners and the details of each are given below.
- Rinse-out conditioner: This one is the normal conditioner that people use all the time after hsamppoing their hair. You may apply this conditioner few times a week to gain a radiant and silky hair. Also Know About Eyelash Extension Styles Chart. However, if you notice your hair to be weighed down recently, try stripping it down to using it once a week.
- Leave-in conditioner: As the name suggests, these types of conditioners are meant to be left in your hair until the next wash. This type of conditioner is generally used to hydrate mild to moderately dry hair and also repair the damaged ones.
- Deep conditioner: This type of conditioner is meant to be kept in your hair for atleast 30 minutes. Since this is a heavy conditioner, It is generally used in cases of damaged hair and not applied for more than once a week.
If you are wondering ‘is it good to condition my hair every day’, the following section will help you find that out. Keep reading to know more!
What Conditioner Will Suit Your Hair?
Always choose your conditioner after knowing your hair type. This helps in providing the right amount of nutrients and moisture that your hair is capable of absorbing. Grab a look to know more!
In case you have dry hair, try using good-quality conditioners that will help the moisture get locked into your hair and prevent your hair from turning dry often. Try using leave-in conditioners or light conditioners any time your hair feels rough and dry.
Use light shampoos that do not eliminate the natural oils from your hair. You may use a deep conditioner or hair mask once a week to provide hydration and nutrients to your hair.
For oily hairs, avoid applying conditioner on a regular basis. Use clarifying shampoos to remove excel oil and greasiness from your hair. Use conditioners that do not include silicones 2-3 times a week.
The more hair you have, the more care do they need. You need to look after each strand of hair and make sure they receive enough nutrients and remain to be strong and shiny. For this, you should provide them with a good amount of nutrition as well as hydration multiple times a week. Do not use too heavy conditioners as they might make your hair greasy, rather using the light ones is the way to go.
If you have thin hair, then adding a certain amount of conditioner will help you develop volume in your hair. However, if you notice your hair turning greasy quickly, then cut down using it frequently. Use light conditioners 1-2 times a week.
In case you have damaged hair, a deep conditioner is a one-stop solution for you. A deep conditioner contains all the correct amount of nutrients and hydration substances that your hair needs when in a damaged condition. Guide About What Are Solar Nails? The deep conditioner will create a layer to prevent any further damage from happening.
Can washing your hair too much cause hair loss? Keep in mind that no matter what your hair type is, washing your hair every now and then cause lead to hair loss and make it vulnerable to breakage. You shouldn’t wash your hair for more than 3 times a week.
Over Conditioning Vs Under Conditioning
Your hair will develop contrasting symptoms in cases of over conditioning and under conditioning. The following chart will help you procure a better idea about the signs you are likely to experience. Take a look!
|Basis of difference||Over conditioning||Under conditioning|
|Greasiness||Greasy all the time||Appears to be dry and under nourished|
|Softness||Soft but stiff hair||Rough and frizzy hair|
|Other Symptoms||Too much shine or radiance, less volume, flat hair, excess oil etc.||Split ends, dull, frizzy, easily gets tangled, lack of shine and coarse.|
How To Avoid Over-Conditioning Your Hair
Over conditioning might turn into a regular habit every time you condition your hair. Keep in mind that over conditioning can increase greasiness in your hair and lead to reduction of buoyancy or volume of hair. Consider the following stops to avoid over-conditioning:
- It is always advisable not to use leave-in conditioner after you have already applied conditioner while showering. Leave-in conditioners should not be a part of your post-wash routine as it will only lead to extra oiliness after cleansing.
- Do not deep condition your hair regularly instead doing it once a week is enough. Even though deep condition ensures that your hair receive abundant hydration, doing it more than once a week will lead to over-conditioning.
- Do not apply conditioners on the roots and always use clarifying shampoo to remove the excess oil and dirt.
Since these types of conditioners are meant to be left in your hair till the next wash, do not use this for more than 2 times a week.
How Long Does Conditioner Last ?
Conditioners, in general, are meant to last for a period of 2-4 days. However, this actually depends upon the ingredients of the product you used. Mild conditioners lasts for 1-2 days while deep conditioners last for a much longer duration.
Also, after applying conditioner if you have washed your hair with sulfates, the effect will be gone within a day. If you used something mild, then the effect will probably last longer.
Side Effects And Precautions
Following are some of the few common mistakes people seem to commit that you should surely look out for:
- Look out for your eyes and nose when applying the conditioner. The product might cause a burning sensation near your eyes or nose. Apply cold water carefully and rinse it off.
- Do not apply conditioner directly to your scalp. If you notice certain skin irritations emerging after applying the product, stop using it immediately and conduct a dermatologist as soon as possible.
- Also, if you are prone to acne, then pull your hair up with a claw while the conditioner gets absorbed to keep the moisture away from your skin.
- Apply the right amount of conditioner. Start with two quarter sized gallops and if you still feel your hair to be under conditioned, use a bit more.
- There are different kinds of conditioners available in the market. So before buying one, make sure to check all the ingredients and know if it would be suitable for your hair.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why you should stop using conditioner?
Applying too much conditioner can degrade the quality of your by turning it into a greasy one. It will reduce your hair’s volume and your hair would turn out to be extra shiny or radiant. However, using conditioner once or twice a week won’t cause any harm to your hair.
2. Does conditioner make hair flat?
Applying conditioner for more than 3-4 times a week will definitely lead to over-conditioning and yield symptoms like flat and greasy hair. However, if you apply conditioner once or twice, your hair will be shiny and soft.
3. What happens if you don’t wash out the conditioner?
Washing the conditioner off properly is extremely important for a healthy hair. If you do not wash the conditioner thoroughly, you hair will begin to appear sticky, coated and heavy.
4. What are the 3 types of Conditioners?
The three types of conditioners include rinse-out, leave-in and deep conditioner.
Read More: How Long Does A Pedicure Take?